Latest Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Updates
IMPORTANT! SURVIVORS HAVE UNTIL DECEMBER 16, 2016 TO REGISTER WITH FEMA FOR STORM-RELATED DAMAGE IN EVANS COUNTY. DAMAGE MUST HAVE OCCURRED OCTOBER 4-15, 2016.
- PRESS RELEASE // November 30th, 2016: “SBA Approves Over $5M in Disaster Loans” (Click to Read)
- PRESS RELEASE // November 21st, 2016: “Stay in touch with FEMA via Helpline” (Click to Read)
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM FEMA: Despite the rumors, FEMA has NOT left Evans County and individuals can still register with FEMA up until December 12, 2016. However, due to extreme decreases in foot traffic, FEMA volunteers will no longer be at the Veteran’s Center. They will instead be out in the community reaching out to residents at their homes and businesses. If your home or business has suffered damage from the effects of Hurricane Matthew, please call the FEMA registration number at 1-800-621-3362, or register online at: www.disasterassistance.gov
- PRESS RELEASE // November 2nd, 2016: “Disaster Unemployment Assistance Now Available” (Click to Read)
- PRESS RELEASE // November 1st, 2016: “Free Legal Services for Eligible Hurricane Survivors” (Click to Read)
- BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OFFICE CLOSURE // October 27th, 12:30pm-5:00pm
The Board of Commissioners’ Office will be closed for an off-site FEMA training on Thursday, October 27th from 12:30PM-5:00PM. The Courthouse Annex will remain open and all other offices will retain their normal business hours. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- PRESS RELEASE // October 26, 2016: “Evans County Declared for Individual Assistance Funding” (Click to Read)
- Citizens needing to apply for assistance can do so in one of the following ways:
FEMA representatives are currently working in our area. They are also going to set up at the Veteran’s Center on (hopefully) Friday, October 28th, and will be there from 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday-Saturday to assist citizens with applying for aid for the next few weeks. The only exception to this is Election Day, November 8th. On that day, FEMA representatives will set up in Courtroom 2 in the Courthouse Annex.
- PRESS RELEASE // October 20, 2016: “Evans County Declared for Public Assistance Funding” (Click to Read)
- PRESS RELEASE // October 18, 2016: “SBA Offering Disaster Assistance to Businesses, Residences” (Click to Read)
- BOC MEETING CANCELLED: The joint meeting between the cities and county with Carl Vinson Institute of Government, originally scheduled tonight, has been postponed. We will be rescheduling the meeting for sometime in November.
- JURY DUTY ANNOUNCEMENT (PER OUR SHERIFF): Jury selection for October 17th has been cancelled. Please contact the Clerk of Court’s office at (912) 739-3868 with any questions.
LANDFILL DUMPING: The Commissioners have approved to allow citizens to dump for free at the Landfill under the Pride in Evans program via special vouchers. Please contact Donnell Benjamin, Code Enforcement Officer, at (912) 290-1604 for more details and to obtain approval and the necessary paperwork. PLEASE NOTE: Natural-growth trees debris from the storm (trees, limbs, stumps, etc) should still be taken to the inert waste disposal site at the Claxton-Evans County Industrial Park.
SCHOOL CLOSINGS: According to the Evans County BOE, due to the effects of Hurricane Matthew, power outages, and concerns with bus access, classes for all Evans County Schools are cancelled for the remainder of this week. At this time, classes are set to resume on Monday, October 17th, at their normal start time.
- RECREATION DEPT UPDATE: We’ve received communication from Mr. Danny Swain at the Recreation Department. He has stated that the football game in Reidsville and practices are still on. Their phones were previously up, but have gone down again, last we heard. The Concerted Services office is also closed. Inquiries or further questions can be made by contacting Swain directly via his cell at 912-618-0067.
- SCHOOL CLOSINGS: Here is an official statement from the Evans County Board of Education regarding school closures: “60% of Evans still without power. No school for students or faculty on Wednesday, October 12, 2016. A decision about Thursday will be made by noon tomorrow. We want all of our students and faculty able to be safely transported to and from school and current conditions will not allow this.”
- IMPORTANT DEBRIS DISPOSAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Do not put your yard cleanup in the right-of-way. If you do, it slows the progress and work our crews are doing to clean up. ANY DEBRIS PUSHED INTO THE RIGHT-OF-WAY WILL BE PUSHED BACK OUT OF THE WAY. Evans County has set up an inert waste disposal site at the Claxton-Evans County Industrial Park. Please note, the only items that should be brought to this location are natural-growth tree debris from the storm (trees, limbs, stumps, etc). Times and schedules for this temporary site are 8:00am-6:30pm, 7 days a week. PLEASE NOTE, ABSOLUTELY NO C&D WASTE CAN BE DUMPED AT THIS SITE and ALL debris MUST be from the storm. The Evans County Landfill will be up and running once power has been restored to that area.
- ROADS UPDATE: Nearly all paved roads through Evans County are now clear. Here are the roads listed as impassible due to trees wrapped up in power lines and their current status:
- AD Eason Rd // NOW OPEN
- Bowen Rd // PASSABLE
- Carson Sands // CLOSED
- Daisy-Nevils Rd (closed from 280 to Edgar Hodges) // STILL CLOSED
- Edgar Hodges Rd // PASSABLE
- Emanuel Barrow Rd // PASSABLE
- Hammock Ln // PASSABLE
- Hendrix St // PASSABLE; POWERLINES HANGING LOW
- Ivey Brinson Rd // STILL CLOSED
- Jim Hendrix Rd // POWER COMPANY ON THE ROAD NOW
- Level Rd // NOW OPEN
- Mosley Rd // NOW OPEN
- Red Clay Rd // NOW OPEN
- Ritchie Dr // OPEN
- River St // NOW OPEN
- Settlement Rd // NOW OPEN
- Tom McCall Rd // NOW OPEN
- WE Callaway Rd // PASSABLE; POWERLINES HANGING LOW
- DEBRIS DISPOSAL UPDATE: Evans County has set up an inert waste disposal site at the Claxton-Evans County Industrial Park. Please note, the only items that should be brought to this location are natural-growth trees debris from the storm (trees, limbs, stumps, etc). Times and schedules for this temporary site will be posted within the next few hours. PLEASE NOTE, ABSOLUTELY NO C&D WASTE CAN BE DUMPED AT THIS SITE and ALL debris MUST be from the storm. The Evans County Landfill will be up and running once power has been restored to that area.
- SPOILED FOOD DISPOSAL: Please take all spoiled freezer and refrigerated food to the convenience site on Bill Hodges Rd near the Industrial Park.
- SCAM UPDATE: “Brace for Scams Along with Hurricane Matthew.” Even though we are in Georgia, this is a statement released from the North Carolina Department of Justice has good information pertaining to us regarding contractor scams after Hurricane Matthew. The file is a PDF that can be viewed, printed, and distributed.
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update // 10.07.2016 – 6:34pm
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update // 10.07.2016 – 10:32am
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update (Tallahassee) // 10.07.2016 – 6:07am
- Ordinances Enacted by Declaration // 10.06.2016 – 7:00pm
- Evans County Declaration of Local Emergency // 10.06.2016 – 6:45pm
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update // 10.06.2016 – 6:30pm
- Governor Deal – Mandatory Evacuation East of I-95 // 10.06.2016 – 10:10am
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update // 10.06.2016 – 5:00am
- Hurricane Matthew – National Weather Service Update //10.05.2016 -5:00am
- GEMHSA News Release – Prepare for Hurricane Matthew // 10.05.2016 – 3:48pm
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update // 10.05.2016 – 3:07pm
- Hurricane Matthew – NWS Update // 10.05.2016 – 8:27am
- State of Emergency Declaration // 10.04.2016 – 4:07pm
- Area Update // 10.04.2016 – 3:39pm